Every truck or car accident has the potential to result in painful injuries for the people involved, whether a person is rear-ended or struck in a head-on collision.
That said, there are some injuries that are more common than others.
Ten common crash injuries
Some of the most commonly reported injuries that people experience in a car accident include:
- Brain damage, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Back and neck injuries, including herniated discs
- Contusions and severe bruising
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Leg and knee trauma
- Mental and emotional trauma, including depression and post-traumatic stress disorder
Depending on the degree of these injuries, they could change a person’s life. In cases of severe injuries, victims can require ongoing care, accommodations to their living space, surgery and mobility devices. Further, people’s relationships and ability to care for themselves can change.
Recovering from any of these injuries can take time, money and a lot of hard work. As such, it is crucial to report an accident to insurance and seek legal guidance regarding the possibility of pursuing financial damages from a negligent party.
Parties at highest risk of severe and fatal injuries
Any person can be hurt in an accident. However, some Canadians are more likely to experience catastrophic injuries, according to the following statistics from 2018.
- Drivers account for roughly half of fatal crash injuries in Canada; about 17 percent of fatal crash victims were passengers.
- Drivers between the ages of 25 and 34 are most likely to experience serious injuries that require hospitalization.
- Drivers over the age of 65 are most likely to suffer fatal injuries.
- Provinces reporting the highest number of fatal and serious injuries in a crash include the Yukon Territory, Nunavut and Manitoba.
Reading these statistics could prompt motorists in these higher-risk categories to be especially cautious and mindful behind the wheel.
That said, it is crucial that every driver take precautions and practice safe driving habits to avoid a severe or fatal car accident.